If you love a crunchy salad then a Waldorf Salad is the perfect fit. Now I don’t profess to be a purist when it comes to recipes. I like to add my own twists depending on my mood and what’s in my fridge or pantry. But essentially, a Waldorf Salad is made up of fresh apples, celery, walnuts, and grapes on a bed of lettuce.
It’s usually dressed with mayonnaise. But on this occasion I made a lighter style dressing with wholegrain mustard, cider vinegar and orange juice.
For a vegan version, omit the honey in the dressing. As an optional extra for vegetarians, sprinkle with some feta or goat’s cheese. And if you’d like to make this a meat friendly main, add a couple of shredded cooked chicken breasts.
If you like this type of salad or these ingredients, you might also want to check out my Crunchy Apple & Walnut Salad.
- 300 grams Mixed Lettuce Leaves Roughly chopped
- 4 – 6 Celery Ribs Finely Sliced
- 2 – 3 Granny Smith Apples* Cored and Sliced
- 200 grams Red Grapes Halved
- 100 grams Toasted Walnuts** Chopped
- ¼ Cup Seed Mix Optional
- 1 Juice of 1 Orange
- 1 tsp Wholegrain Mustard
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider or balsamic vinegar I used a mix
- 1 tbsp Honey Omit for a vegan version
- 2 tbsp Fresh coriander or parsley Finely chopped
- Roughly chop your lettuce and thinly slice your celery and add to a large salad bowl. Season with freshly ground salt and pepper and toss
- Slice the apples (I like to slice mine into batons) and halve the grapes and add to the salad. Finally, add the chopped toasted nuts and sprinkle the mixed seeds and toss everything together
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl or jar. Mix or shake to combine
- Dress the salad just before serving to avoid the leaves going soggy