I love a roasted veggie soup, and especially adding a little spice to enhance the flavour. I’m a bit of a lightweight when it comes to spice or heat so my recipes are usually quite mild. But some ingredients, especially those that have more natural sweetness are perfect to add a little touch of spice to. This Spicy Roasted Tomato Soup is the perfect example.
Roasting the veg brings out their natural sweetness and intensifies their flavour, so you don’t need to do much to them. In this case I’ve purely added some fresh tomatoes, a few Sundried tomatoes, garlic, Italian herbs and olive oil to a roasting dish and placed it in the oven for thirty minutes in the oven. Pop the lot in a pot with a little veggie stock and let bubble away for around 15 minutes. Then blend. Super simple, totally delish and vegan.
I’ve served it here with a drizzle of basil oil (I’ve been experimenting with herb oils lately), and my Herby Breadsticks on the side.
Spicy Roasted Tomato Soup (VG)
- 3 – 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 40 gram Sundried Tomatoes
- 1 kg Ripe full flavoured tomatoes I used Roma Tomatoes
- 1 – 2 Red Chillies, deseeded* Optional (I used 2)
- 3 – 4 Cloves of garlic Crushed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar Optional
- 2 Tbsp Dried Italian Herb Mix
- 3 – 4 Cups Vegetable Stock
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Add the olive oil and Sundried tomatoes to a large baking dish
- Halve the tomatoes, deseed and slice the chillies and crush the garlic, then add them all to the baking dish. Season with salt and pepper, then add the sugar (helps to balance the acidity of the tomatoes) and dried herbs
- Roast for around 30 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft and there is a good amount of liquid in the bottom (Do not let the garlic or Sundried tomatoes burn or they will go bitter. If they do, remove before blending the soup)
- When the tomatoes are roasted, add them, and the juices to a large pot. Depending on the amount of liquid they produced, add 3 – 4 cups of vegetable stock and bring to a steady simmer for around 15 minutes
- Taste and season as needed. Then remove from the heat and blend until smooth (I use a stick/immersion blender)
- Serve warm with your choice of side. My Herby Breadsticks paired wonderfully with this soup