Who doesn’t love banana bread? (Although after 2020 some of us might have had our fill). The flavours are classic though so why not use them in my favourite breakfast dish. This Banana Bread Granola is absolutely delicious.
Granola is always my go to breakfast, especially in summer. And since it’s so simple and quick to make at home, I prefer making it myself. The basic ingredients usually stay the same but I really enjoy switching up the flavours and even textures.
With flavours of banana, cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg, and the crunch of walnuts, which I certainly love to add to my banana bread, this combination brings me so much joy.
Besides the mashed banana in the mixture, I’ve upped the banana flavour by adding banana chips at the end too. It adds to the crunch factor as well. Yum!
This recipe is vegan and only uses maple syrup and banana for sweetness. You are welcome to use GF rolled oats for a gluten-free substitution.
Banana Bread Granola
- 4 Cups Rolled Oats
- 1 Cup Walnuts, Roughly chopped Optional
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Very ripe large banana, mashed
- ½ Cup Coconut oil, melted
- ½ Cup Maple Syrup
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 – 1½ Cups Banana chips Set aside to add after baking
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (or 170°C on the fan setting)
- In a large bowl, add the rolled oats, walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and mix to combine
- In a small bowl or jug, mash the banana, then add the melted coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla and mix
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until all the oats are well coated and all the ingredients are mixed through
- *The banana chips are added after baking
- Add the mixture to a large baking sheet and bake for 25 – 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so, until evenly golden and starting to become crunchy
- Remove from the oven and stir again to loosen the mixture⅓ (the mixture will become a little more crunchy as it cools)
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes then stir in the banana chips (The amount of chips depends on how much you like banana chips or how sweet you like your granola)
- Let cool completely then store in an airtight container