Hot summer evenings for me mean light meals for dinner. Taco Tuesdays are a favourite for me. And my all time favourite topping or side for tacos is this Mango Salsa. I am sure you know by now that I love adding fruit to traditionally savoury dishes, salads etc. When fruit is in season and this flavour packed, like these mangoes, who could blame me right?
Mango Salsa is almost a sweet and sour twist on the original. With lime juice adding the sour and the mango adding the sweet. Add the other traditional ingredients, such as tomatoes, red onions, fresh chili and parsley or coriander, and you have a delicious salsa to add to any Mexican dish.
Simple, quick and super delicious, this Mango Salsa is filled with flavour, crunch, texture and a little spice. Feel free to scale the heat to your taste.
On this occasion I made Fish Tacos, but you can use absolutely any filling you wish, or keep it vegetarian or vegan if you prefer. You can use hard or soft taco shells, add it to burritos, or if like me the Mango Salsa is the star for you, then eating it simply by dipping some gluten free corn chips it just as delicious.
I posted a very similar Mango & Corn Salsa recipe some time back, served with Spicy Pork and Pineapple Skewers. Do check it out if you like this version too.
- 2 Large Fresh Mangoes Peeled and cubed
- 250 grams Baby or heirloom tomatoes (any size or variety of tomatoes) Finely chopped
- ½ – 1 Green Pepper De-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 Small Red Onion Finely chopped
- 1 – 3 Jalapeno Chilli Peppers (to taste) De-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander or Parsley Finely Chopped
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Fresh Lime or Lemon Zest
- 1 tbsp Fresh Lime or Lemon Juice
- Prep the ingredients
- The mangoes, tomatoes, green pepper and red onion can be all be cut into the same size, roughly 1cm pieces/cubes. The chilli and herbs should be finely chopped
- Season with salt and pepper, then add the zest and juice and mix through
- Pop in the fridge to chill until needed