Apricot, Pistachio and Honey Granola anyone? I am well aware that there are so many delicious and healthy varieties of granola available to buy. And I’ve bought and tried so many myself. But I always prefer making my own. It’s so easy and quick and you can literally make so many variations with the same basic recipe.
For this version I used honey, plump dried Turkish apricots and pistachios. What a delicious combination. That’s what I love about granola and also why it’s my staple breakfast. Keep it plain or add whatever seeds, nuts or fruits you like or have at hand. No nasties or preservatives. You control what goes into it.
There are three basic elements to Granola. Rolled oats, oil and sweetener. I prefer using coconut oil or another vegetable oil that doesn’t have much flavour. For the sweetener I use either honey or maple syrup. So you can make this totally according to your dietary requirements. Whether you’re gluten-free, sugar-free or vegan.
As mentioned, you can literally add anything you like to granola. If you need some inspiration though, check out my staple Pecan Maple or Honey Roasted Almond Granola. Or for some fun flavour options, try my Banana Bread or Cranberry & Pistachio Christmas Spice Granola.
Apricot, Pistachio and Honey Granola
- 2 Cups Rolled Oats
- ½ Cup Pistachios (raw shelled)
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon Optional
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Brown sugar Optional (helps for crunch)
- ¼ Cup Honey
- 2 Tbsp Coconut or Vegetable Oil
- ½ Cup Dried Apricots (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 150°C and line a large baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or baking paper
- Note: If using coconut oil, melt for a few seconds in the microwave oven to become liquid
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl (except for the dried apricots) and mix until evenly coated
- Note: The sugar helps make the granola crunchy rather than sticky. If using roasted pistachios, add then after baking
- Spread onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, stirring halfway. Baking time will depend on your oven and how crunchy you like your granola. Take care not to let the edges burn
- Tip: When stirring the granola, ensure that you move the outside to the centre and vice versa, so that it bakes evenly
- Allow to cool completely on the baking sheet. It will become more crunchy as it cools. Stir in the chopped dried apricots
- Store in an airtight container