I have recently become obsessed with preserving and pickling. And these super Quick and Easy Pickled Carrots have become a favourite. I love ordering fresh produce from the local farms. It’s a privilege we have living here in the Western Cape, which not enough people are aware of or use. We become such a convenience society, but since the farms deliver right to your door, and most of the time the very next day, I would consider that convenience.
Ordering seasonal produce and directly from the farms, means that we sometimes receive a large batch of veg that, cooking for two, we can’t easily get through. And while I love to prep and freeze veg too, preserving and pickling has become a fun new hobby. I love being able to add some crunch and flavour to almost any dish without having to prepare something from scratch.
What’s even better, these quick and easy pickled carrots take about 10 minutes from start to finish to prepare. They are so versatile. From adding them to burgers, tacos, salads, or serving alongside a fillet of fish, they are just such an easy way to add flavour and crunch to almost anything. Although the flavours of ginger and chilli are Asian inspired, they work well with so many different cuisines.
Quick and Easy Pickled Carrots
- 375 ml Rice wine or white wine Vinegar
- 375 ml Water
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 2 tsp Chili flakes
- 2 cm Fresh ginger (or 1tsp ground ginger) Peeled and sliced
- 1 Clove of garlic Crushed or sliced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 700 grams Medium or large carrots Shredded
- Prepare your ingredients
- Add the vinegar, water, honey, chilli flakes, ginger, garlic and salt to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil on medium high heat, stirring occasionally then remove from the heat
- Shred or slice the carrots using a mandolin, zester or food processor
- Pack the carrots tightly into a 1L sealable glass jar or other airtight container
- Carefully pour the pickling liquid onto the carrots. Stop occasionally and use a long spoon, skewer or knife to push some of the aromatics between and around the carrots. This will also help to eliminate any trapped air bubbles
- Continue adding liquid until the carrots are submerged and covered completely. Then seal your jar
- Let it cool at room temperature. Then place in the fridge to chill
- For best results, leave in the fridge for 3 days before starting to use
- Will last at least 1 month in the fridge
- Tip: When using the carrots, always ensure that any leftovers in the jar are submerged in liquid before sealing and storing again. This will ensure they stay fresh and last