I love these Veggie Enchiladas for a super easy and totally delicious mid week meal. Most of the ingredients are either frozen, canned or from a jar so there is very little prep or hands on time involved. This is always a bonus for me and I’m sure for any busy family.
These delicious enchiladas are packed full of flavour. But since you can control the spice level, they make a perfect family friendly dish. Filled with veggies and legumes, they are relatively healthy.
This recipe is my original version. Made with flour tortillas/wraps and topped with sour cream, salsa and cheese. It is super easy to substitute these for a lighter or slightly healthier version though.
For a healthier or gluten free option, swap out the white flour tortillas/wraps for wholegrain, multiseed or gluten free wraps.
And, you can also either skip the sour cream or use a little plain yoghurt if you want to keep the creaminess and slight tang that it adds.
The cheese can easily be reduced or replaced with a non-dairy vegan version.
I have included these suggestions in the recipe notes.
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Enchilada spice/mild mexican spice mix Adjust to your spice preference
- 1 Small onion Finely chopped
- ½ Large Red Bell Pepper De-seeded and chopped
- ½ Large Green Bell Pepper De-seeded and chopped
- ½ Large Yellow/Orange Bell Pepper De-seeded and chopped
- ½ tsp Chili powder or 1 Small Chili, de-seeded and finely chopped Optional, adjust to your spice preference
- 1 Cloves of garlic Crushed
- 500 gram Mexican Corn Mix* Substitution in notes
- 400 gram 1 x Can of black or red kidney beans, drained
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1½ Cups Jar of salsa or enchilada sauce, divided Mild or hot depending on your spice preference and if you are adding fresh chili
- 6 – 8 Flour Tortillas/Wraps (1 Pack)**
- ½ Cup Sour Cream**
- ⅓ Cup Grated Cheddar, Gruyere or other strong cheese**
- ⅓ Cup Grated Mozzarella**
- Fresh coriander or parsley for garnish Finely chopped
- Mashed and seasoned avocado / guacamole for serving
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and set aside a large oven dish
- Drain the beans and/or corn and set aside
- In a large pan, add the olive oil, Mexican spice mix and bring to medium heat
- Add the onion and peppers and cook for a minute or two to soften
- Add the corn mix (or the individual ingredients as below), garlic and chili and stir through the spices. Add the drained beans and ½ cup of salsa and stir through. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook for around 5 – 10 minutes until just tender (cooking time will depend on if you're cooking from frozen. Remember it will cook further in the oven)
- Once tender remove from the heat and set aside
- Warm the wraps in the microwave for 10 – 15 seconds just to make them more pliable/softer. In the meantime, spoon around ½ Cup of salsa into the bottom of the oven dish
- Fill each wrap with a couple of spoonfuls of bean and corn mixture and roll up (do not overfill). Pack the filled wraps into the oven dish
- Spoon the last ½ Cup of salsa on top of the enchiladas
- Next spoon the sour cream onto the enchiladas and spread a little
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top and place in the oven to bake for around 30 minutes
- When the cheese has melted and is turning golden, remove from the oven and sprinkle over the chopped coriander or parsley
- Serve warm as is or with some mashed avocado or guacamole