One positive for me about it being summer in the Southern Hemisphere in January, is that it usually means that we’re already eating lighter and healthier meals such as salads due to the heat. It makes it easier to stick to goals of eating healthier after the holidays. For me anyway.
In our household salads aren’t usually side dishes, but rather the main. I also don’t mind combining cold and warm elements. My main rules are that it has to be packed with flavour and texture and it has to be filling.
Most of my salads are vegan, or at least vegetarian when they include a sprinkle of cheese or honey in the dressing. But they are all super easy to use as a side or to bulk them up with a protein for meat eaters.
We are by no means vegan or vegetarian, however our consumption of meat and dairy has reduced significantly over the last few years.
Now to get to this yummy Green Pea Salad. It includes a combination of baby gem lettuce and baby spinach, and the warm elements include peas, sugar snap peas and extra fine green beans. I’ve sprinkled it with a seed and nut mix for added crunch, texture and nutrients, and shredded a little Bocconcini over the top to satisfy my hubby’s love of cheese.
Green Pea Salad
- 100 Grams Baby tomatoes (I used green exotic heirloom tomatoes) Halved or quartered depending on their size (Optional)
- 2 Cups Baby Gem Lettuce Hearts* Roughly chopped
- 2 – 3 Cups Baby Spinach* Roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 100 – 200 Grams Fresh Green Peas (depending on servings) Defrost if using frozen
- 120 Grams Fresh Sugar Snap Peas
- 100 Grams Fresh Extra Fine Green Beans Topped & tailed
- 1 Cloves of garlic Crushed
- 1 tsp Italian Herb mix
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- ¼ Cup Seed and Nut mix / salad sprinkles
- 50 Grams Bocconcini / Feta / Dairy-free cheese Optional
- If using baby tomatoes, halve or quarter them, place them in a large bowl and season with a little salt and pepper
- Next, roughly chop your salad leaves and add them to the bowl. Set aside
- In a medium pan, add the olive oil, peas, sugar snap peas, green beans and garlic, mix through and bring to medium heat
- Season with the herbs, salt and pepper and mix through. Add the lemon juice, place a lid on the pan and let cook/steam for around 3 minutes (turn the heat down a little if you need to)
- Remove from the heat and let cool for a minute or two
- Then pour the contents of the pan, including the liquid which will become your dressing, into the bowl with the chopped leaves, add the seed & nut mix, and toss everything together to distribute the dressing and sprinkles.
- If using cheese, crumble it over the top
- Serve and enjoy!