A deliciously simple vegetarian pasta dish. Prepared in under 20 minutes, this Mediterranean inspired dish is great for when you’re in a hurry.
Mediterranean Pasta with Spinach, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Olives and Pine Nuts
A deliciously simple vegetarian pasta dish. Prepared in under 20 minutes, this Mediterranean inspired dish is great for when you're in a hurryShare via Email Share on Facebook
- 250 grams Fusilli Pasta*
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves of garlic Crushed
- ¼ – ⅓ Cup Sun-dried Tomato or Red Pepper Pesto
- ¼ Cup Sun-dried tomatoes Chopped
- ¼ Cup Kalamata Olives Halved or quartered
- 2 Cups Baby Spinach Roughly Chopped
- Salt & freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
- ⅓ Cup Pine Nuts Toasted
- ¼ Cup Finely grated Parmesan
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (to toast the pine nuts) and bring a pot of salted water to the boil
- When the water has come to the boil, add your pasta and stir. Cook for 8 – 10 minutes or according to the packet instructions. Stir occasionally to avoid sticking.
- When you've added your pasta to the water, spread your pine nuts on a baking tray and roast for 5 minutes in the oven. Keep an eye on them as not to burn them. You just want a slight bit of golden colour
- While the pasta is cooking, roughly chop your sun-dried tomatoes, olives and spinach and prepare your garlic (don't forget your pine nuts)
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and set aside
- Use the same pot and place back onto a low heat. Add the olive oil and crushed garlic. Saute for a minute taking care not to colour the garlic. Add the pesto to the pot to warm through. Now add your drained pasta back into the pot. Add the chopped spinach, olives and sun-dried tomatoes and toss everything together until the pasta is coated with the pesto. Turn off the heat and add salt and pepper to taste. Now add your pine nuts, mix through
- Dish into serving bowls and grate some parmesan over the top
*If you don’t have fusilli, penne, shells or bowties. Smooth, longer pasta such as spaghetti or linguini, or even macaroni will not work as well with this rustic chunky sauce. Use your favourite jar or tub of sun-dried tomato or red pepper pesto. You could also use basil pesto if you prefer. My favourite trusted brand of pre-made pesto is from Pesto Princess. Their products are made from sustainable fresh ingredients that ensure clean eating. I always keep stock of their pesto, hummus and harissa to add flavour to my quick meals.