I have two adorable adopted Basset Hounds named Mabel & Jake. These four legged fur babies are very special to me and I believe in giving them special treats too. Since there are many human ingredients that are not so healthy or even toxic for dogs, I have found a couple of core recipes that I I use that are safe and delicious for them to enjoy, especially on special occasions.
This chicken and carrot cake recipe is my go to for their birthdays. The can’t get enough of it so I definitely restrict it to special occasions. This recipe is also easily adapted for pup-cakes if you do not want to make a single cake. Just reduce the baking time.
Chicken & Carrot Doggie Birthday Cake
- 1½ Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1½ tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ Cup Unsalted Butter Softened
- ¼ Cup Oil (Vegetable/Sunflower or Coconut Oil)
- 3 Large Egg
- 2 Pouches of Chicken Baby Food approx. 240g
- 1 Cup Carrots (finely grated/shredded)
- 1 Tub Cream Cheese Plain (approx. 250g), Softened
- ¼ Cup Peanut Butter Unsweetened
- Preheat the oven to 160°C
- Generously grease and flour a 20 – 22cm round cake pan and set aside
- In a bowl, sieve or whisk together the flour and baking powder and set aside
- In another mixing bowl, beat the softened butter until smooth. Add eggs and oil and mix well
- Add the baby food and shredded carrots and mix until combined
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients a little at a time and mix thoroughly
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan
- Bake for approx. 60 minutes or until a cake tester/skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean
- Let cool in the pan for around 15 minutes, then remove from the pan and let cool completely on a wire wrack
- Once the cake is cooled, mix together the softened cream cheese and peanut butter until combined and spread evenly over the cake to frost/ice*
- Decorate with your choice of bacon bits, dog treats, etc.